Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saturday night's alright

Dear Diary,

Here we are again.  It's Saturday night, and I am devouring a bag of sugar snap peas in front of the computer instead of cleaning out the washing machine like I had wanted.  I'm sorry.  I guess I just can't do it all.  Or can I....(magical chimes sound and image fades to a daydream)....

I am laying in my bed, the sun is rising, birds are chirping...and like a scene from Snow White, I arise.  Stretching my arms and sighing, I grab my robe and slippers, humming a cheery tune.  (This is not far from reality because truly, I can't whistle to save my life.)  I glide downstairs to see a host of woodland creatures scrubbing my floors, washing the windows, and bleaching my sink.  Smiling, I raise my arms as woodpeckers and robins with little paper towel pieces in their mouths come to rest on them.  But wait...where are the cute little dwarfs? (Interrupt with record scratching sound).

Present moment:  I hear my husband, Dan, in the living room scold my youngest son, "No Isaac!  Don't spill the juice on the couch...take it to the kitchen, buddy.."  Sigh.  There they are. 

No birds, no woodland creatures...just lots to stay on top of each day.  Some days I feel like the wicked witch instead of the princess, Diary!

I guess for me it's not so bad.  I enjoy cleaning.  I love finding new products to make life easier.  I dig discovering household cleaners that keep the environment sustainable.  I love scrubbing small places with a toothbrush.  I love stepping back, even if there are no birds to perch on my tired arms, and say, "nice work, Hladky."

Now, to clean up that juice.  Oh.  I love Stain-guard on furniture too.

No comments:

Post a Comment